Monday, August 11, 2008

Farewell Knoxville

*Note, was written at different times..the first part was written the Monday before we left, and the second part today.

So many people have asked me, "when are you  going to tell people on the blog that you are leaving?"...honest truth is, I don't really know where to start.  It has been a week of lasts...last Sunday at Redeemer, last dinner with friends, last playdate, last time at the hospital...I can say that today was hard and after the kids played, I was left in the backyard weeping..I have cried the rest of the day and am crying still.  I had such a terrible headache after everyone left this afternoon from the crying...then I had dinner with some friends from work and cried with them...I figure it's better to get it all out in one day.  Maybe then I won't have a headache tomorrow.  

*Written tonight
...It was hard to leave, we had a really sweet last night there, visits from lots of friends...many hugs and tears.  The goodbye the morning we left was definitely the worst though.  For some weird reason,  it felt like I was leaving a part of "me" there.  I know I will still have memories in my head..but it is sad to leave the physical place where those memories were made.  Don't get me wrong, I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that moving was the right thing to do...but, I guess "right" is not always easy.  Knoxville was a great place to live and for all that the city and the people of the city gave us, I am thankful.  Thankful for everyone at the hospital that made my work so enjoyable and that took such good care of me and my babies when they were born, for Chris's firm offering him such opportunities to learn and to spend a good amount of time with his family, for our sweet Church, for the Burches for opening up their home 4 years ago to what would truly end up being my "community"....thank you.  To our friends - Thank you so much for loving me, getting to know me, caring for my family, letting me get to know you and loving you. I truly do love you.  Know that our home is always open to you and yours, come anytime for as long as you like. We would love to have you.  

Ok, so we made it...it was a long drive for me...crying, talking on the phone, crying some more. But we got here, closed on the house (where I had to ask for some advil because I had a headache from crying so much), and then Chris saw it for the first time.  He loves it. It has been a good week, painting, unpacking, getting "settled", driving...I say driving because this is a much bigger place than Knoxville and as Hudson would say we, "drive drive" all over the place. Quite different that my 5 mile radius in West Knoxville.  We have enjoyed having regular visits from family, friends, and neighbors.  This house doesn't feel like home yet, but I'm sure it will as time passes.  Thanks to all our family here who have welcomed us, we are so glad and thankful to be "home" and look forward to many years of wonderful memories with you.  

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to finish this post, it started out that I wasn't hooked up to the internet yet, but then...Joseph Peabody, a four year old who had brain cancer, died last week.  It seemed silly and trivial for me to be talking about saying goodbye to Knoxville when his family was saying goodbye to him.  It has really resonated with me...makes so many things not matter.  And yet, at the end of the day, I get so caught up in the trivial tasks of the moment rather than the eternal.  Shame on me.  My heart breaks for this family, I don't know them personally, but I feel the weight of their grief.  I can't fathom what they are feeling.  Join me in prayer for them.  

7 comments:

ginaburch said...

still crying here....miss you sweet friend!

Aimee D said...

you are totally, completely missed. it's like i keep looking for your sweet face at church and then it dawns on me that you are gone...like really far away! but I am so happy that you are happy and that you are getting settled! truly!

notes of em said...

friend, dont downplay what all that your feeling. I know that we are sad for Joseph's family, but that does not lessen the things that you are feeling day in and day out. We are missing you all greatly here. But so looking forward to seeing you in a few days!

The Leonards said...

yep, still crying here! let's see some pictures soon:)

Mandy said...

I am sorry for your sadness and excited for you in your new adventure with your family. I know leaving all those precious friends and the memories is so hard! I am going to say a prayer for you as soon as I stop typing that God would fill you with his peace and comfort you. I miss you liz!

Rachel Sara said...

Love you and am glad you are here sweet sister!

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine how hard it would be to leave close friends and co-workers...But I can definately tell you how great it is to have children and grandchildren back. Love you all...

Poppa