Wednesday, July 1, 2009

K-town, Milan & Martin

Last year, you may recall, I did a Father's Day post about my dad. Well, I'm a little late this year, but I wanted to put up some more pictures of him nonetheless.

This first picture is an "Official US Army Photograph" (printed on the back) of my dad's 1959 Little League baseball team, the Senators. As you can see from the sign at the top, these little leaguers were playing in and around the huge US Army base at Kaiserslautern in post-WWII Germany. My dad is the third standing ballplayer from the left, with the big ears and hands on his hips. I still have the glove he's holding behind him.


Two years later, dad moved to Milan, TN, which is about 20 miles north of Jackson, TN. My grandfather was a Major in the Army, and he was stationed at the Army ammunition plant in Milan, if you were wondering how they ended up there. (Sorry for the underlining, I can't seem to get it to stop.) Anyway, here's dad (#21) on the 1966-67 Milan HS basketball team (Go Bulldogs!). They played Bells HS for the state championship that year. He earned the nickname "Spider" because he was "all arms and legs." How do you like those glasses? I know, they kind of look like the ones I have now. The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree, eh? Mr. Johnny Robinson (#14) gave me this photo at the visitation when dad died. There's no way he knows how much I appreciate having this picture.


After HS graduation, dad went to UT Martin. The picture below is one of my all time favorite pictures ever, of anyone. My mom and dad are on the right, posing ever so stylishly at the 1972 ATO formal. Dad pulls off the trifecta of mustache, mutton chops, and sandals (with a tux!) masterfully. The goof on the left was a friend of dad's (nice hat) who apparently liked to use the word "phantasmagoric" as a synonym for "cool." Hilariously high comedy, my friends. How can you not love this picture?



So (aahhh, the underlining is back!!), we've been to Kaiserslautern, Milan, and Martin. Let's end with a picture from Memphis. This is from 2001, just before we teed it up for a 4 man scramble golf tournament. I have many good memories from being on the links with Pops.

He would have turned 60 this month. Miss you, Pops. Thanks for everything.



5 comments:

Chris Myatt said...

Not sure what to say...wish he was here, wish he knew the kids, wish he knew the man you have become...he would be so proud. You are a sweet son, and a great husband. Hope you have a better day tomorrow. Hey...look around at church, the dresses that your mom and Karen have on are oh so popular these days, all the girls wear them. Maybe I should see if your mom still has hers?

Love you tons.

Elizabeth Myatt said...

Woops...that last comment was me.

Molly said...

What a touching post! Your father would be extremely proud of you and your sweet little family. Yep, you look like your Dad in the picture with
glasses! Sure do love the sandals with the suit....Hilarious!

My Dad's family were from around Milan...

ginaburch said...

i cannot imagine how proud your dad is of you,mr myatt. you are one of the finest men I know...a true credit to your father!
and you mom--beautiful!! hardly has aged, it's amazing.
miss your family so terribly:(

notes of em said...

great, great post.
love all the photographs from a time gone by.
I especially LOVE the one of your parents at the dance. They had to be pretty awesome for their time.
we missed you all greatly this weekend.
happy 4th.